Saturday, April 15, 2006

Easter


Easter - one the most holiest (if not the holiest) holidays on the Christian calender as we celebrate the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

To be honest, in the past I have felt disconnected with the celebration that surrounds Easter. As a Chinese Christian Canadian, I am caught between cultures. Although my parents are Christians, we never celebrated the traditional holidays that usually dot the Western calendar (Thanksgiving, Christmas...) the way Western family do (in the same way, we don't celebrate most Chinese celebrations - but that can be another blog entry). Easter is no exception. Church has done a lot to educate me on how to relfect upon the spiritual significance of these holidays but I love to see it become a heartfelt tradition I celebrate on my own.

Now that I live on my own, I have been experiencing other families' traditions and appreciate the significance of the holy day. It is still a struggle sometimes to get excited about the reason for the holidays (usually I find myself getting more excited about the days off), but I love how Eastern Canadian culture and tradition brings the focus back to Christ. The area is rich in religous history and I appreciate the focus on Christ during Easter.

Lord, thank you for your death and resurrection - for the forgiveness of my sins and for the power to live a life pleasing to you because you live.

Here is to many more Easters where I can remember the sacrifice of God's only Son so that individuals can have a relationship with Him and experience His love eternally.

1 comment:

  1. Amen brother. i've come to realize that easter doesn't mean the same to me just because i'm not home for this holy holiday. or i'm too distracted. or the image of easter (from the Passion of the Christ) had numbed me to even begin to comprehend the enormous amount of suffering that Christ had gone through for the entire human race. God help me to be mindful and fully understand the significance and meaning of the cross all over again.

    ReplyDelete