Friday, November 30, 2007

Parking

There are a lot of joys in expecting a child. People getting giddy about playing with your son/daughter, gifts from family and friends, a new phase in life... But an unexpected joy that I have recently been enjoying is parking at the expectant mothers parking space.

yep. That's right. I get to park in the reserved parking spots in front of Sobeys and Superstore. No longer do disabled people get the sole privilege of parking near the entrances of malls - expecting mothers get one too (although usually one space farther away than disabled parking, but that is ok).

Last week was the first time we tried the parking space. At first it felt awkward because Deb isn't showing yet. However, after a few more times parking in the reserved spots, it feels more natural. The initial fear of someone shouting out "That is for pregnant mothers buddy!" goes away. Actually, I want them to shout out because then I can show them my wife's belly (it is obvious once you part the jacket).

I'm sure the novelty goes away after a while, but once that snow falls, I'm going to be grateful that there is such thing as expectant mothers parking in Canada.



7 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoy this parking. I always feel too weird about parking there. I just feel like I don't need it. I think I have used it twice in total including both pregnancies. I dunno..I know that it's there for people like me (& Deb, etc.), but I just can't do it!

    Jamin on the other hand, always wants to take advantage of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. same with me sarah. josh is all about the parking spot and I step out the car sheepishly trying to hurry into the store before someone gives me an evil glance. my worst fear is stepping out of the car and watching a new mom with a 2 month old struggling from 10 parking spots down... but josh insists, and most times he's driving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how I will feel but probably not so comfortable until the last few months. But it's a different story when it snows. When it comes to safety, you should definitely use it with no hard feelings at all.
    It snows quite a bit here today. Reminds me of Halifax. :)
    And I always wonder what that sign is supposed to mean...can someone explain it to me please? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats guys! I didn't know that you were expecting too. Although my parenting experience isn't very extensive, just 9-10 days now, i can testify that it's a good gig.

    To let you know how long I have been out of country, i didn't even know there was such a thing as expecting mothers parking. here in thailand, you just park wherever you want. makes life much more simple or i guess complicated depending on how you look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The picture on the sign is that of a stork - an old tale told to children how babies were brought into the world. Storks would drop off the baby at the door step or something like that...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What?!! This is so funny! I need to find out more....

    ReplyDelete
  7. josh.. i think those spots are for expectant moms who can barely walk and need to get inside before they freeze to death. if a husband is chauffeuring his wife, then he should drop her off at the entrance and then go park the car himself! WALK - it's good for you!

    ReplyDelete