Saturday, August 30, 2008

Best Meal So Far

When we went to Vancouver to visit a couple of our best friends, they planned a surprise evening for us. They did a very good job in not letting on what the night was about. After taking us around Granville Island, they drove us to an apartment/condo. Deb and I had no idea what was going on. It turns out that they have a friend who is a professional French gourmet food chef!!! He cooked for us that night and it was the best meal in my life so far...


Citrus "cooked" scallop appetizers. I usually don't like scallops, but this was delectable and I could not taste the fishyness that accompanies seafood. (sorry for the loss of focus)

It was hard to choose my favourite dish of the night, but I think this would be my choice as favourite. The combination of fresh mozzarella cheese, asparagus and truffle was fabulous!

This was a close second - butternut squash soup. I have a sudden craving for this as I write this.

My wife's favourite! This is duck's feet spring roll with duck meat and skin on different kinds of mushrooms. Delicious!

To cleanse our palate, we had raspberry in champagne in a shooter lined with custom made/flavoured suger.


Rare charbroiled grilled lamb in parsnip and vegetables.
White chocolate panna cotta - amazing, considering we had a choice of hot or cold dessert. He gave us both!


2nd dessert - souffle with sugared champagne grapes

After dessert appetizer! We were so full after the previous dessert, but the ultra blue cheese was extremely tasteful!

6 comments:

  1. This looks exactly like you lived an episode of Iron Chef America. I need to send this to Johnson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH YUMM!!! Seeing your pictures has left Joni and I drooling. I need to find a french chef friend. That's awesome of your friends to arrange that! =) Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks alot, im sitting at work in front of a computer dreaming of a dinner like that!! I can see why you called it the best dinner of your life so far....incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummmm-eh. i'm really hungry all of a sudden.

    did i tell you i got a free upgrade to first class on my joburg to london flight? twas incredible - got a real nice fancy dinner. ..and they also served cheese after i was stuffed from the meal. haven't figured this one out. cheese after everything else?

    did your buddy say why?

    ReplyDelete