Saturday, September 11, 2010

Mobile Jesus


Helping hand by Andrew Dallos
Last night I went out with my church to walk around downtown to pray for, care for, and give sandwiches to those in need or for those who asked us to.  It was an amazing time - here are my thoughts on the night:
  • I found it hilarious that people thought we were on a pub crawl because we all wore the same t-shirt that said Deep Water (our church name) on the front and "Ask us how we can pray for you" on the back.  It started up a great conversation.  It was a great way to redeem the we all wear the same t-shirt phenomena.
  • Being out there creates opportunities to share Christ.  As we prayed for people, listened to people's stories, they reciprocated by asking questions on why we are doing this.  
  • Doing it for one night reminded me that this shouldn't be a once a week thing, but a lifestyle to love and care for people with the love of Christ
    • I can't love people without the love of Christ because I know that on my own, it will become a duty and something I may resent to do day in and day out
  • The more people, the better!  
Definitely will do it again.  You want to join me?

2 comments:

  1. The best, about the first point, was when a couple came up and asked us if the back of our shirt said, "Ask us to pay for you". Then they REALLY thought it was a pub crawl aha.

    But yes, it is a great ministry and I found that many of the people I ended up talking to had religious histories/backgrounds and prayer lives that amazed me. Only made me want to grow closer to God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I don't want to join you because then I'd have to pay for airfare to Halifax and back and that's probably not very cost-effective but if I was in Halifax then I'd probably actually join you and your Church at least once and did I mention I kinda like run-on sentences, sometimes? :)

    ReplyDelete