Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Be Like an Ant

Take a lesson from the ants, you lazybones.  Learn from their ways and become wise!  though they have no prince or governor or ruler to make them work, they labor hard all summer, gathering food for the winter.  But you, lazybones how long will you sleep?  When will you wake up?  A little extra sleep, a little more slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest - then poverty will pounce on you like a bandit; scarcity will attack you like an armed robber.  Proverbs 6:6-11 (NLT)
Photo by grytr

This was part of my daily reading plan and it struck me how relevant this passage is to today's current reality.  In the midst of economic hard times, political upheaval and revolutions, this lesson struck a cord with me - be like an ant.

Regardless of who is in power or leadership over me (be it a prime minister, a boss, another authority figure or lack of ), I need to be working hard and doing what I need to do to bring food to the table.   And I can't help wonder if these instructions were followed by the masses - would it solve some of the problems that we are collectively facing?

The problems are multi-faceted and more complex to be solved in any one way, but I think an ant work ethic would do away with an entitlement attitude, excess spending on luxurious items, and a proper focus on human life over materialistic things.  More importantly, the church needs to have an ant work ethic in focusing on what Jesus is all about - His mission to bring that one lost sheep back into the pen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment