Wednesday, August 9, 2006

U2


So, I haven't been always a U2 fan due to the fact I had a sheltered childhood. I never really got into pop culture and music was one of them. However, I have discovered U2 later in life and I must say I am a fan now.

(Deb and I was browsing in the local Future Shop and we found the Best of 1980-1990 and 1990-2000 for $9.99 each! Yep, that is right - we were looking at used CD stores and we couldn't get it at that price!)

After watching Rattle and Hum on DVD and seeing the impact their music it has on my friends, I have been able to sit and listen to the lyrics. Yes, these guys are talented, but they also have great things to sing about. My wife's favourite song is "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" as it talks about heaven, a favourite topic of her's.

Slowly, but surely, I will discover the greats of music that I missed when I was young...

4 comments:

  1. ai ai brother. I hear ya. I had a sheltered childhood too. But good o' U2 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. U2 is great. My Deb's favourite song happens to be the one I like the least. I think what they really talk about in that song is the they think "Jesus is not enough." But again, I have always had a more pessimistic outlook in life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is what I thought too until Deb explained to me that her viewpoint on the song is that what we really long for can only be found heaven. We don't belong here - yes, Christ is sufficient, but nothing this side of heaven will satisfy us. Through Christ, we now have found it - eternal life (even though eternal life starts when we accept Christ - but I think I know what Bono is talking about).

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's a matter of interpretation I suppose, but I have read a few articles on the meaning of the song because I too thought they were talking about how Jesus isn't enough but most articles outline how it's the struggle of not being able to truly be satisfied because of our own weaknesses but that you're constantly looking towards a time where Jesus will be all satisfying. I like that.

    ReplyDelete