Monday, April 19, 2010

Learning a few things about grief

Today is the 2nd anniversary of Abel's passing. Last year, I learned to grieve as a parent who didn't know what to do with reoccurring grief. This year I learned to grieve in the midst of being a father to a second child. There is still a lot to learn.





A few things I pondered this year as I spent time remembering Abel:

  1. The quote from Lord of the Rings kept returning to me the past 5 days - "No parent should have to bury their child" - Theoden. Normally, that would be a very sad thought to dwell on and at times it is, but I also know that Abel is heaven and that I will see him some day. As well, I am comforted that he has been spared all the evils and suffering that comes with this life.
  2. Today, I spent some moments at his grave and on his grave marker is the inscription James 4:14 which reads, "How do you know what your life will be like tomorrow? Your life is like the morning fog—it’s here a little while, then it’s gone." I am reminded that life is short and that I have no control what comes next - much like Abel's life. The reminder has given me renewed determination to be wise with my time and not take it for granted.
  3. Mischaela, my 4 1/2 month old, is an absolute joy and she is a beautiful gift to us from God. She has not replaced Abel in any way, but has given me more perspective in the grieving process. Although I know God always has given good gifts, she is a great reminder that in the midst of a world that has been messed up by us humans and sin, God brings good still into this world.

4 comments:

  1. Thinking and praying for you today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Russ - it means a lot us that people are thinking and praying for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you and Deb and Mischeala Josh. May the Lords Merciful hand ease and sooth you in this time of rememberance. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Josh/Deb... thinking and praying for you guys today. Your willingness to grieve openly is healthy for you and the rest of us learn lots! Thanks for being so open. Praying you will find the peace that passes all understanding as you walk the road with the Father.
    Susan dos Santos

    ReplyDelete