Saturday, March 11, 2006

Saving money

So the local power comapny is raising rates again and it is going to be more expensive to use electricity. As a new home owner, this bad news to me and it got me thinking how to save more money and electricity.

Well, one thing that I learned over the past week was how to keep my wood stove burning continuously so that it maintains a desired level of heat. Now I don't have to restart the fire 2 or 3 times a week - I can leave it going for a whole week and and just add more wood from time to time. This is true throughout the night and as long as I set the electric thermostat at 5 degrees Celsius around the house, all is good and we can save electricity. The house doesn't seem to have any drafts so all the heat generated from the stove makes its way up to the top floor. Thank God for wood stoves!

Another way to save energy, I believe Deb and I can do, is to switch all our light bulbs to those low wattage long life bulbs. The only thing is that it costs a lot initially to buy them. As well, most of our lights in our new house are the small socket, chandelier type candle shaped bulbs and there isn't a lot of those low wattage ones out for those types yet. There are a few, but they are way more expensive! So, I think I need to wait for a sale and lobby for more of those types of bulbs...

6 comments:

  1. that's right peeps. the thermostat is now set to 5. but for guests you can up it to 10. hee hee. :o) *shaking fist at power companies*

    ReplyDelete
  2. 10?! good thing i'm visitin in the summer! (i survived a Shanxi summer ACless) c ya soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh. the latter light bulb is very exciting. I didn't know there's such a thing in the market. Very good indeed. I feel bad about using so much energy but you're so tempted to waste them because it's included in the rent. It's always a toss up...save the world or be spoiled?!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh. I like the second light bulb. Looking neat.

    The top one though, I've seen it before, and it gives a lot of light, which therefore, I would think it'd use a lot of energy? So it might not be one you'd want to buy ...

    Meh, but then again, what do I know about lightbulbs? hehe ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are lucky to have a woodstove! Thankfully, we had a pretty mild winter and didn't have too many tanks of oil to worry about...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Before Baby Naomi, we were all about 15 degrees, or 17 for company. We're now hit an all time high of 18...the things you'll do for love :)

    ReplyDelete