Thursday, October 12, 2006

Tipping


I had a conversation with a group of friends over the weekend about tipping and even though I wasn't totally in the conversation (I was really concentrating on driving the Cabot Trail), I had some thoughts.

I agree that tipping is a weird phenomenon in that it has morphed into an expectation that you tip servers rather than they have to earn their tip. For example, a waiter is paid by the restaurant for their service to customers. That is what the restaurant pays them for - but do customers have to pay tip for regular service? I agree that if the waiter is great and goes above and beyond the call of a "normal" waiter that you tip him/her. But when the service is bad and you leave no or very little tip, there is a cry from the waiter (and sometimes they run after you) moaning that you didn't leave a tip. Now, this personally hasn't happened to me as I usually leave tip, but there sure are times when I didn't want to. Perhaps I am too worried of what they will think of me the next time I return or of what they may paint of Chinese people in general (that all Chinese people are cheap).

So what to do? Off to Google I go and to my surprise, when I type in tipping etiquette, most sites are pro-tipping and on the side of servers (those who collect tip). Since I am not in a researching mood and only looked at 3 sites, I think I will create my own tipping rules for waiters (as they are the ones who I normally give tips to). Maybe I can try it out and see how it goes...

Start with 15%:
1) If I don't get served right away, in a normal situation, I will drop the tip by 5%.
2) If a server doesn't take our order in a timely way (meaning that I start feeling antsy), less another 5%.
3) If I get a different order than what I ordered and they don't give a discount on the bill - no tip! If they correct the order and give me a discount, add 5%
4) If they don't offer to refill my drink where the drinks have free re-fills, less 5%
5) If the waiter comes back more times than the standard, "how is your meal?" question, add 5%
6) If the waiter's attitude is totally off, less 10% (this will be hard to do as you don't want to further add to the bad attitude)

I think that is all I would do... the next step is to follow it!

10 comments:

  1. hmmm... I don't Josh. As a former waitress I'm all about the tip. And I'd be more worried about what they think of Christians then the Chinese... I know I wonder about tipping less when the service isn't good but then I think about grace and perhaps I should tip them well regardless but that seems really radical... I read some where that if you tip less or don't leave a tip you should tell your server why. I know you're a generous guy so I wonder if you'll be able to stick by all your rules!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops! first line should read: I don't *know* Josh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I struggle with tipping sometimes too...I actually kind of like your "scoring system", Josh. I really wonder...if servers get to a point where they come to expect tips, it sort of takes away the appreciation of the tip, and makes it less of a fun thing for us as tippers to do.
    Nevertheless, I try to tip when I can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I personally think you're too harsh on your standards of tipping because then a meal in a restaurant becomes "how the service is" rather than enjoying a meal out and you just watch the waiters/waitresses' service. try take-out.

    the tip gets lowered only if the service is quite bad (i.e. they're slow AND they don't check up on you AND they have a stinky attitude) and when I don't tip, I don't feel like I need to explain myself.

    I do however, have a major problem with this idea of "gratuity fee" ON TOP of tipping. so on top of paying for your meal and on top of paying tip, you pay a gratuity fee of 15%. that's just ridiculous. hard rock cafe in toronto does that when you have a party or a gathering of more than 8. such a rip. anyhoo. no bitterness here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hah, that reminds me of an episode from "Third Rock from the Sun" (remember that show?

    Dick put a pile of 1$ bills on the table and each time the server did something he liked/didn't like he would announce rather loudly that he was adding or taking away from the pile. the server got all nervous and hilarity ensued.

    anyway, i tend to want to leave bigger tips, but yea, when the service is bad (ie: when the restaurant is slow and no one comes for aaaaages) then i'll leave maybe a 10% tip.

    Dlu.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've actually joked about that tipping strategy with Wilson when he was our waiter. But I've never done it. I will still pay 15% tip even though the service was bad because I am very mindful of what other people will think of me (like what you said) and if the service is good? 17%. And I get yelled at by my cheap bro :P for being "too" generous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol - I usually do tip, but lately have been getting sup-par to really bad service so don't worry, I will tip when it is warranted!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post, it's awesome!

    It would be sooo funny to actually do the thing that they did on 3rd Rock from the Sun...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate figuring out percentages then trying to add it to the bill so I just look at the tax and round up or down to the nearest dollar so it's easy to add to the bill. It's only a buck or two people! Common! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah... but a bu

    ck or two makes a big statement. ;) So I tried this "rule of thumb" at the Fireside with my co-workers. 1) Served with menus right away and asked for drinks so no minus here. 2) After Kelley arrived, it was only a little while before our waitress took our order. Still good! 3) They didn't have what I ordered so I had to order something else - no prob... when the food came the waitress did let me know that they burned the first time they cooked it and she requested that they do it again. I think that is great that she did that - expected, but appreciated! 4) Had to ask her to get water and hot water, but not a big deal so it is okay. 5) Did not come back to see how things were other than the standard. So no addition. 6) Attitude was good.

    So at the end of the night, she got a 15% tip. (Note: Although post seems anti-tipping, I do tip all the time and usually 15%) As a follow up to this discussion, I found from a family member in the restaurant business that only in Ontario, Alberta and B.C. do restaurants get to pay waiters and waitresses less than min. wage in expectation for tips. In N.S. this is not the case - waiters/waitresses get min. wage plus tip! Bonus!

    ReplyDelete