Sunday, April 15, 2007

Blood Diamond


The other night, my wife and I watched "Blood Diamond" - a movie set in Sierra Leone about the civil war and events that surround conflict diamonds. The movie is an excellent piece to highlight the atrocities that people will go to for wealth.

At many points of the movie, I found it very difficult to watch as children were taken at gunpoint to be recruited into guerrilla camps and forced to kill. In a short span, they become "men" doing what desperate men in a mercenary army would be doing.

As the story goes on, my heart went out to Africa and the exhortation and exploitation of the innocent, the poor, the young and the underprivileged. I couldn't sleep for the most of the night after watching the film thinking about the acts of war done by little children and fighting the rage against those who did this to them.

Questions that I pondered:
  • What can I do to help?
  • If I go to Africa, what is the most effective way to help these children?
  • Why was I born in Canada as an Asian at such a time as this?
Answers to come...

1 comment:

  1. so true. we don't choose our heritage and yet some are so proud of their heritage that they'll belittle others... for something they did not earn, so much harm is done. it's all so strange, this human race of ours.

    ReplyDelete